Come join the party tomorrow!
Need funding for your books next semester?
How about a little help to pay for a class?
If you can answer YES, to one of the above questions, consider applying for the Dr. Anita Corey memorial scholarship sponsored by the New River Valley Reading Council. Dr. Corey was an active member and leader in the organization and taught at Radford University in the reading department. Her love of literacy lives on through this scholarship. The winner will receive a check for $250. Details below:
Eligibility: Applicants must meet all of the following criteria.
- Enrolled as a graduate level student
- Seeking a Master’s degree in Reading
- Membership in the New River Valley Reading Council
Essay: Applicants must submit an essay written in Microsoft Word via email attachment discussing the following areas. Please keep your essay to a minimum of three pages. Please keep all of your student names anonymous.
- Introduction– Paragraph describing you: where you are in your program, university attending, and experience as a teacher so far. What has led you into the field of reading?
- Learning about literacy– Discuss a course, assignment, or professor that has had a positive impact on your experience in graduate school and/or as a teacher.
- Literacy in the classroom– Discuss an experience you have had in teaching that has been a challenge. How did you overcome this?
- Literacy leadership– Discuss how you plan to become a leader in literacy in the future. This can be at a school level, administration level, or as a member in a professional organization. What can/will you do to make a difference?
Review: A panel of New River Valley Reading Council members and leaders will read and select the scholarship recipient.
Timeline: Essay submitted via email to the New River Valley Reading Council (firstname.lastname@example.org) by December 7, 2015. Applicants will be notified by January 4, 2015 after review by the New River Valley Reading Association. Check awarded by December 19, 2015.